Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The experience factor

The longer I write, the easier writing gets. This is not an implication that writing is easy--just easier than it used to be. The change has been so gradual that I didn't notice it happening right away.

The adage about practice definitely applies. I write faster than I used to and the copy is cleaner. The drawback to this happy trend is that right along with becoming a better writer my standards rise.

Perhaps, if I live long enough I'll become one of those productive authors, who I'm so impressed with--the ones who knock out thirty thousand words in a week. And those words are well-crafted and entertainingly arranged.

Heck, slower is fine for me--say fifteen thousand words a week....

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Thirty thousand words a week? Wow. I'm lucky to write 5K!

I'm just the opposite. The more I write, the slower I get. But I definitely agree with you on the higher standards. I wonder if I'll ever get to a place where the words come freely and I feel like I know what I'm doing!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Sure, hang in there! Seriously, we're all different I wrote very slowly in the beginning--not sure when I got a little bit faster but it has happened-yea! You, my dear have a full time job, a young son, a husband,all great things but it does slow down writing production... When I had a day job I wrote half of what I do now. Maybe, I'm not really faster...

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter