Monday, April 09, 2007

Writing Life

One of the things that drives me crazy about the business of writing is the time line. Three months to hear back on a simple query letter,and synopsis. Three months! This does not compute. Is it that the poor editors are simply that inundated with story proposals? I know they have lots of other duties and that their established authors have priority, as they should. But come on - three months?

BTW three months may not be three months. Five months might be closer to the mark.
Obviously, I lack patience. The other day it dawned on me that this may not be my year even though I'm working hard to get three submissions in the works. Each one takes time to work its way through the publishing system.

Even assuming a positive response, i.e. a request for a full from one or better yet both of my current proposals, there would be another five or more month wait following that submission. It's April already, if I get a request this month or next add six months and it's almost 2008!

There's today's rant. Thanks for listening.

6 Comments:

Blogger Avery Beck said...

You just never know. The other day I got a full request eight days after sticking a query in the mail. (Gotta love the GH perks!) But then there's the Q&S that has been with another editor for...eight *months*. LOL I'm pretending I never submitted that query because I want to do some more work on the book later. Besides, I've since found an editor who likes my stuff a lot more, so I suppose all the waiting happens for a reason.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Well sure that's great for you Ms. Golden Heart finalist! LOL. Now they want everything you've ever written.

I don't understand why it takes so long (eight months OMG) to get an answer on simple proposal. I'll try to whine less about the three months plus wait.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The truth is you never know. When I first went with Bane eons ago - count on a year to hear back and even longer for the full. The whole internet thing has sped up submissions drastically.

I do know with my current editor, it's about two months to hear back on your proposal and then another two if she's requested your WIP. If you are in my boat, that gives you about enough time to get the next story going.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Oh, that is rough, I know. It's no secret I sold my first book 14 months after I first queried it. I wish I had some witty thing to say that makes the waiting all okay, but I don't. It sucks!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

T.J., Thank you for stopping and the information. Very encouraging. Not in the same class with Avery's eight days, but two months sounds speedy. LOL

Lori, I think you deserve hugs even now on the fourteen month wait. That's like an elephant pregnancy unbelievablly long!

As you can all tell I'm still waiting to hear anything.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

On the bright side - no rejections this year!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter