Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Reading report

Multiple reads again this week

Key Witness by J.F. Freedman

Two star review – A legal thriller by a non-lawyer and it shows. Note to self: do you really want to make the murder trial scene the climax? Mr. Freedman pens a tome with an astounding number of coincidences and a cast of unsympathetic characters. He sells millions of copies of each release – my humble opinion being only one nay sayer in a sea of admirers. Decide for yourself.



Writing The Breakout Novel Workbook by Donald Maass

Five Star review – Probably over my head, but Maass does his best to keep things understandable with examples from published authors and very short chapters. I’d read lots of recommendations of this book before I bought one. Would it have helped me sooner? An irrelevant question, I have a copy now. The trick is putting all that excellent advice into practice. Lots of great advice. No guarantees of success.


Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen

Five start review – Like lots of fans I eagerly await the next Tess Gerritsen release. The combination of Maura and Jane is particularly satisfactory and the latest issue in the series is both rich and chilling. Did Tess read Maass book? I have no idea, but she embeds many of his suggestions – like putting tension on every page. For those new to the series, I recommend starting at the beginning with The Surgeon.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter