Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Writing Craft

Last year I concentrated on mechanics: grammar; punctuation; and learning techniques to proof better. Studying the rules and understanding why they existed, before deliberately breaking them. :) I learned about house styles and how little is hard and fast in the fluid world of the English language. This wasn't the only aspect of writing I worked on but it was the main thrust. Toward the end of the year I saw improvement and moved on to structure and setting.

Am I done? No way - not even close. The perpetual student aspect of professional writing is part of the attraction for me. This year's focus is going to be on characterization. When that's as good as I make it for now I'll push on pacing and revisit conflict.

During all this studying I'll continue to write, to apply the lessons learned and hone the skills acquired. I have a big goal. I want to be one of those writers who grows with each book. I'm reading one now and it's a lovely bonus when an author surprises you with a new level of story craft.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Well, not that I'm anyone with authority, but I think you're doing the exact right thing. I think at the end of every book I wrote, there was something I wanted to improve upon in the next, and that doesn't change when you sell.

What does is the pressure! I'm disappointed that I've only got 7 weeks to write the 2nd Blaze that will be out. It's hard to work on craft with such a short deadline looming. I guess that's where all that pre-published writing comes into play and helps us out (I hope).

6:36 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Hi Lori, Hugs and sympathy on the pressure, truly - I can only imagine. Heck, I hyerventilate over a submission received letter . . . I'm sure you can handle it - maybe you'll get extra time. . .

11:03 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter