Monday, December 18, 2006

Writing Life

During the dark days of no power, a letter from Harlequin arrived. One of those nice rejection letters, full of editorial pearls of wisdom, the kind that keep aspiring writers enthused about writing.

The only downside to this boon is it makes me want to drop my current WIP and go revise the story so kindly rejected.

I'm not going to do it. I have a commitment to write this manuscript. No it is not contracted or sold, but it has been submitted. What if (happy words that tingle in the writer's mind) that editor were to request the full and it was not the best I could make it?

The thought that I could write a bit faster has occurred to me, but I'm not all that speedy. When I push harder two things happen (neither or them good) I get cranky and the writing gets sloppier. I hang on to hope that with practice I'll pick up speed. It's possible. Or I might become more accepting of my limitations.

6 Comments:

Blogger Avery Beck said...

I'm sorry about the R, Evanne. Which line was it for? I think you're right to stick with your current WIP unless the rejecting editor asked for revisions on the other one. This one just could be the charm. :-)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Hey Melissa,

Thanks for the sympathy, but I'm delighted with this R. :) It was from Blaze, no revision request :( but lots of detailed feedback about what didn't work for her. And nothing that said she wouldn't look at it again if I fixed those things.

I'd love to be a Blaze babe. But first things first. ;)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Evanne, I'm so sorry. Rs are always so disappointing. But I think that the editor took the time to personalize the letter says a LOT. Trust me, if they didn't think you had potential, they would never, ever waste the time. You'd get a form reject and that's it.

And also keep in mind, that all I ever got was form rejects. Apparently they felt my earlier stuff was birdcage liner. On one rejected partial, they wouldn't even sign their names (a line other than Blaze). It came personally signed, "Editorial".

And my very next submission sold.

If I can go from birdcage liner to sale, you're closer than you think.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks for the encouragement Lori! Your humor shines through everything you write. I'm looking forward to reading Private Confessions and all future Lori Borrill releases.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Elle Kennedy said...

Evanne,

(((Hugs))) on the R, but take those pearls of wisdom and hold on to them. It took about 5 form letters until I finally got a pearl. Since then, my R's are usually pretty positive, and they're always helpful.

So stick with the current ms, take any usable advice from the rejection, and make this ms the one that sells!

Leeanne

10:24 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Hey Leeanne,

Thanks for the hugs, if there can ever be such a thing as a good rejection this was one. Editorial advice is precious more diamond than pearls to me.

I'm staying focused on the current story and hoping it sparks an even better response.

Belated congratulations on Angel of Seducation's Golden Rose win.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter