Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Reading Report

I'm still reading Ms. Bronte's classic, Jane Eyre. Writing cuts my reading time. A classic story that I've read before is perfect for dipping into when I've achieved the day's word quota.

Now that the short story is complete, Jane's trials will move more swiftly. For those bored with Jane Eyre, tune in next week. I'm not at all tired of Jane. Miss Eyre lives, barely at the moment, and breathes as if she were a dear friend.

Since I am a critical reader, every time I close the cover and trundle off to bed I ask myself how does she draw me in so thoroughly?

The obvious mechanics of grammar, punctuation,and sequence of action, reaction, and introspection are handled seamlessly. This is the first level of writing.

The actions and events of the story make sense, i.e. they are well motivated. Even the most fantastic situations and behavior become not just believable, but authentic. This is the second level of writing.

The fully-fashioned characters, quirky and interesting, are alive and talking in my mind as the pages turn. This miracle of animating the imagination via the printed word happens by tiny increments of telling details. The setting is slivered into the unfolding tale with surgical precision. As a horse rears, a dog barks, lighting strikes a tree, not one word is wasted or careless placed. Each packs its full share of weight. Mundane items: a creased handkerchief, cold porridge, a mossy rock each steer the actions and emotions sweeping the reader along. This is the third level of writing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, Evanne. I spent the past day and a half reading full crits while sick in bed. Not sure that was a good idea, because now I'll have to reread them.

Glad you are enjoying it.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

T.J. Sorry you're sick - hope it gets better soon. You should stick to comfort reading when you're sick or better yet, just sleep.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter