Friday, October 19, 2007

Writing life

Yesterday, we had the first big storm of the season, knocking out power for several hours. No writing got done at all, but a few pages were edited after power was restored. I did get a wall of the bedroom painted. . . .

The fact is, my concentration is still lacking, I may have been too optimistic signing up for the seventy days of sweat. The new story needs to grow in my mind and there's nothing I know of that makes that happen fast. The characters, and the story world, have to become multi-layered to me before I can write the scenes, which in turn comprise the hopefully compelling fictional account.

Some time ago, I was participating on another challenge board. In my newbie ignorance, I offered one of the published author's I admire advice about managing her writing career. Lack of knowledge can be empowering, but I cringe recalling this incident. I had the very best of intentions and great respect for her writing . . . but still. She responded graciously, that what I suggested (working on multiple projects simultaneously) simply wasn't practical for her.

Now, I know there are authors who do manage multiple stories. There are some amazing writers out there. But I'm not one of them. I can only get my head into one story world at a time. Therefore, I need to finish editing Dangerous Rescue before I begin to build the new pirate world. Sven is going to have to sweat without me for another week or so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

I'm like you, Evanne, in that I need to get my head around a story before I can write it. I see so many authors say they get a brief idea for an opening scene and then they just take off. I admire that but just can't do it. I'm a thinker. I think slow then write fast.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Ah Lori, you're much better that I--after my slow start I continue to turtle my way toward the finish line and then I edit and revise several times. . . LOL

There is a brief period after the initial thinking, plotting, period when a lot (for me) of words spill out--around ten percent of the story before I slow to my normal four or five pages a day.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter