Sunday, July 16, 2006

Reading Report - Avon Red - Continued

I picked up the Red Avon title - If This Bed Could Talk and found myself engaged with the first story (see earlier post) I promised to come back and report on the rest of the book and then ignored my commitment. :(

The second story in the anthology was Unrequited by Kimberly Dean - even more engaging than the first story. I've read Ms. Dean before and find her version of erotica to walk the delicious line between shocking and exciting with style and fun.

The third story fell a little flat for me - there's a paranormal sub-plot. I understand that all things paranormal are incredibly hot at the moment but they operate under a handicap with me, A paranormal story has to be better than a historical or contemporary to hold my interest. One woman's treat is another's poison. . . While not my favorite, the final story in the trilogy was well crafted and held my interest.

Well written erotica for a female audience is still rare. The Red Avon collection stories in this title all had a strong romantic element, The focus was on one man - one woman interaction, while including language, frankness and an emphasis on the sexual relationship that go beyond the typical romance with an erotic element.

Having sampled a few erotica titles I've come to the unstartling conclusion that like all reading my pleasure depends largely on the author's skill and choice of story matter. I enjoy a sizzling hot story, but no more than I enjoy a thriller or cozy mystery and not as much a well done romantic suspense. Now if it were a romantic suspense with an erotic element. . .

How about you, how hot do you like your love stories?




2 Comments:

Blogger Karen Erickson said...

I read this book - I thought it was ok. The second story was my favorite, if I remember correctly (I've been on a bit of a reading binge - sorry!).

I've really been checking out the erotic romances since that's what I've been writing for the last couple of months. But hey, I just bought a Super Romance yesterday so I'm all over the board. Go figure. :)

8:02 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Two voices of reason out of the blog-a-sphere! Thanks for stopping by ladies!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter