Monday, February 12, 2007

Wrtiing Life

Stuck in revisions, sounds a little bit like the start of ballad. There's nothing romantic about writing. From the outside writing looks like a dream job. There are moments, when the writing flow that it does feel great. But the more I learn the less I have the illusion that the first draft of anything I write is golden.

Revision sharpens my awareness of flaws. There are nice bits - parts I still like. But I've learning not to get attached, some of my favorites have already fallen by the wayside. I'd mourn, but the story is better for the changes.

Judging by those who are further down the road than me, at least the hurdles change shape and color.

For reasons I do not understand I need hardcopy to revise. I have to print the story make corrects with colored pens and post-its, then and only then can I catch a reasonable number of errors. Reading aloud catches even more.

Once the story has been examined all the problems need actual solutions and to be input into the computer version. It is possible for me to mess up a previous okay section during this process. It is also possible to make new errors when improving previously written sections. :(

2 Comments:

Blogger Avery Beck said...

Hi Evanne! I'm a fan of revising hard copy, too (just hate all the ink and paper I have to use to do it!). I think once you've seen a story on the screen so many times, your mind goes into auto-read mode because the content is so familiar. Hard copy gives your eyes something different to look at, so it's easier to catch the problems. Good luck with your revisions. :-)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

You are a clever woman. I'm sure you're correct. Time helps give me a fresh perspective but there never seems to be anough of that.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter