Thursday, April 12, 2007

Writing - real life

I've managed to develop a sinus infection, a nasty, evil thing that makes my head throb if I do anything foolish like bend over. Housework and gardening are on hiatus. I'm between writing projects so I'm indulging in reading (more on Tuesday's reading report) and thinking about what to work on next.

All three of the most recent writing projects have been submitted to publishers. From a practical viewpoint it would make excellent sense to work on more of which ever of those garnered the most positive feedback. Or, God forbid, actually sold. ;)

Last year I was fortunate enough to get some editorial feedback. It was genuinely helpful and insightful advice. Did I (sensibly) sit down and apply that advice to a new story for the lovely editor? No. I considered that, but found my optimistic writer's heart was already engaged elsewhere.

However, the rejected story still held a claim on me, so I did indeed revise it. The new version no longer fits the originally intended line. Stories have their own identity, at least in my reality they do. I figure it will be much easier to look for a market that suits the story than writing to suit a particular market.

So until some nice editor says, wistfully, do you have more of these? I shall write the stories that speak to me the loudest.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Sorry you're under the weather. Sinus infections aren't fun, that's for sure. And if the weather's as windy and crappy up there as it is down here, the gardening can wait.

Congrats on having all three projects done. I sort of like being at the "clean slate" stage. And I think the idea of writing the story that speaks to you is a good one. It has always been my motto.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks for the sympathy Lori - I hate being sick. :( It is cold and windy and wet here too. Haven't started on a new project more likely are revisions - possibly another short . . . love the almost instant gratification.

How about you, what are you working on?

7:49 PM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

I submitted a synopsis for a Blaze and am waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I'm reading and plotting a ghost story I don't know what I'll do with. It's not targeted anywhere--one of those story ideas I love and I don't want to wreck it by having to worry about what box it fits in. So I'm just going to play and see what I end up with when it's done.

That's about it. Things are finally slowing down which is nice. My life has been in turmoil for almost a year so it's good to feel grounded once again.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

I'm thrilled you have another story in the works. Someday I hope to buy it!

It's good to hear that life is saner too - I don't know how you managed the fast book turn and work and kept your sanity. LOL

7:42 AM  
Blogger Avery Beck said...

Yuck, I had a sinus infection once, and I remember it as the week-long migraine. My head hurt all the time and I had to get antibiotics to fix it. I hope you feel better soon!

You know, it's actually harder than I thought it would be to give an editor a story she asks for. She asked me for a story with the same premise as the last one I sent, but a different plot--but every time I think of that premise, I think of the book I already wrote, and it's really hard to move away from those characters when I'm trying to work with the same idea.

And while I'm here, I'll just say hi to both of you. I've been in the cave trying to finish the draft of Hot Ghost Man. LOL

11:04 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Avery,

Empathetic hugs on the edit cave - I did get to leave it for a few weeks but it is looming again. I'm trying to embrace the inner editor without getting more anal than I already am. LOL

The sinus infection is ugly, haven't had one before it must have been my turn . . . if it's not better by monday I'll break down and call for an appointment.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter