Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Writing business

This is the conference season for romance writers. April kicks it off with the Romantic Times conference, followed in July by the National Romance Writers of America gathering. At least those are the two biggies that have crossed my radar. There are lots of regional conferences too. In fact, an ambitious writer with a generous travel budget could probably keep busy just conferencing. Having never attended any of these networking opportunities, I’m only guessing at the benefits.

Things I think would be fun, useful, or inspiring in no particular order:

Rubbing shoulders with or getting an autographed copy of a keeper from the legends

Meeting cyber-friends in real life

Listening to editors, authors, and agents talk about writing

Learning about craft and the publishing business

A chance to pitch, or simply get acquainted with, those in position to help further one’s writing career

I’m not going. Have I considered it? Oh yeah, that’s a nice list of benefits. But I’ve been writing for five years and I’ve invested enough money into this business. I’m willing to reinvest all writing income, for the next few years, back into the writing. Dues, subscriptions, promotion, classes, websites, books, and definitely conferences all come out of the same slim budget--writing income.

For me, writing is a business. In my case a fledgling business. But if a business fails to meet its own costs, after a start up period, then it isn’t a business--it’s a hobby. I don’t need, nor can I afford, another expensive hobby.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they video and YouTube any of the major conference speeches/debates, I wonder. Not the same as being there, of course, but better than nothing.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Brilliant suggestion!

Unfortunately, the only accessible prior conference information I've found has been audio tapes--but perhaps this year will be different.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter