Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Romance Classics

The other day Nicole Hulst posted (over at Romancing the Blog) about never having read the big hitters in Romance. Bravely, she confessed to never having read Nora Roberts, Linda Howard or Jayne Ann Krentz until most recently.

In support of Ms. Hulst candor, I'm compelled to join her - at least in spirit. I've read all those authors but I'm still finding respected authors that I've overlooked. In the past few weeks I read my first Jennifer Greene, and Stella Cameron.

It's only been the last five years or so that I discovered modern romance. I entered via the back door of romantic suspense. It is a crowded field with thousands of authors. Harsh experience has proven commercial success to be a poor barometer of an author's appeal. Yet, I feel compelled to sample the legends with mixed results.

Georgette Heyer rates an unqualified endorsement. Linda Howard's Mackenzie's Mountain remains my favorite of all her titles, so far. Susan Elizabeth Phillips is IMHO best enjoyed in Audio where you can indulge in Anna Fields' interpretation in addition to the most outrageous characters. I love Amanda Quick, but find her alter ego Jayne Ann Krentz titles too intense and energetic. I'm charmed by Julie Garwood even when she's silly and implausible. My favorite Nora Roberts is one of her rare historicals - Lawless. I regret LaVyrle Spencer's retirement. Did Judith McNaught retire too and just not announce it? Inquiring readers need to know. :(




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter