Sunday, August 06, 2006

Rejection

Yesterday the mail brought a form rejection letter from Blaze.

Nobody likes rejection.

When I submit a story to an editor all I really want to hear is: "we want to buy your story!". Trying for realism, I'd be less thrilled but still encouraged by a friendly email or letter saying how much they enjoyed it, but would I consider changing (fill in some minor point) or even sorry this story doesn't fit our line because (more major point) but please try us again, or perhaps even better why don't you try so and so - this is exactly the kind of story they want.

The form letter gives no hope at all. It is the equivalent of being fired without cause. I know there was a cause, but without a clue I have little hope of remedy.

I've been writing for three years, this is rejection number five. Not all that many compared to some writers. They've all been form rejections. The only meager information I've gleaned from this - is that I write a better query letter and synopsis than I do a story.

It may be sheer stubbornness on my part, but I still love this story. I love the characters and I'm not ready to give up on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter