Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Reading Report

Multiple reads this week -

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass

Perhaps a tad ambitious for someone who has yet to publish an entry novel, but aiming high is personal choice. The book is rich with concrete examples of what at least one A-list literary agent is looking for in a submission. Can you afford to ignore such worthy advice? I thought not.



Have you already written the next great American novel? Then you'll want the workbook.



Taft, by Ann Pachett

A few years back I read Bel Canto and fell in love with Ms. Pachett's elegant style and remarkable powers of observation. Taft is an earlier work and lacks the power that made Bel Canto riveting. Yet there's charm in her excellent craft, the sharp clarity of a keen artist's eye trained on subjects which failed to engage me. Perhaps you'll have better luck.



The Sicilian Marriage, by Sandra Marton

Last year's best Presents and still available - hurry!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Hey Evanne! I found this blog through Melissa's and wondered, "Is that Evanne from the Blaze loop?"

It's nice to see you've got a blog as it seems like neither of us are spending much time at eHarlequin anymore. Though I know I'm speaking completely off your topic here, I just wanted to stop in and say hello.

I hope your holidays are off to a good start. BTW, I didn't realize you were from Seattle. I grew up in Beaverton and have a favorite aunt in Snohomish, so we're sort of "homeys" LOL!

Take care and I hope you don't mind if I pop in on occasion.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Hey Lori,

Good to talk with you I lived in Beaverton when I met and married my dh, who happened to be from Seattle (my home town) - so we really are homies. I'm looking forward to reading your Blaze in February - been busy with real life and writing - had to cut down on HQ boards - they're addictive!

Come by anytime. . .

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter