Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Writing craft

A few months ago I sat down to write a short story for a change of pace. Looking out my window at the dreary dregs of winter, I chose to set the tale in the tropics. Despite the arrival of lovely warm spring weather, I haven't left the islands. Every story since then has been set in one paradise on earth or another. There's something special about beaches, warm breezes,and palm trees.

Re-making the world to suit my whim is one of the delightful aspects of writing. Research is so seductive, I have to limit my time or I would read, study, and surf endlessly and never write another word. Since I'm writing escapist fiction, I'm hoping readers will share my enthusiasm for exotic locales.

Isolated beach cabins, the lush perfume of tropical blooms, and spectacular sunsets create a seductive setting for falling in lust or perhaps even love.

The story world has infinite setting choices, this world or another, this time or another it is always hard for me to chose. Tell me about your favorites. . .

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

I like reading about anywhere as long as the setting doesn't take over the story. I actually stray away from books set in New Orleans because too many times, the writers use words and phrases I'm unfamiliar with, going too far into the local traditions to the point where I feel like I'm reading National Geographic instead of a romance.

I've experienced that in some books set overseas. Too many foreign words and phrases and they've lost me. I'm no longer enjoying the exotic setting but feeling stupid and annoyed.

Now give me a good old beach or a mountain cabin or small town USA. That's fun!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Lori, I hear you on irritating settings. I got real tired of 'Cherie' in one title - I swear it was every tenth word. LOL Until you mentioned it - I never considered how many of these tiring scenes took place in New Orleans. I'm sure it is a charming city - in real life.
The characters make or break a story for me - some writers use setting very effectively. Dean Koonz comes to mind for the evocative and chilling settings in very ordinary (to me) North American locales. What is exotic all depends on where you live. The cornfields of Oklahoma are as foreign to me as the Jungles of Bora Bora.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter