Sunday, November 18, 2007

Home for the holidays



This week, we celebrate Thanksgiving in the USA. Like most people, I think about all the things I’m grateful for, but too frequently take for granted.

I have a roof, which does not leak and a furnace that works. A few weeks ago neither of those statements was true. The new roof and the new furnace are not only delightful in their own right, but they gave me financial perspective. For a while there, I thought I had too much money but that’s not the case (see previous sentences--roofs and furnaces are expensive!). But I do have enough for all of my needs and some of my wants and this is a very good thing. In fact, I’m not sure I would really like to have every want satisfied. It’s good to long for things, to strive for things--whether or not those things are material. Anticipation adds spice to my life.

I live alone (except for the fur faces) and work for myself (disregarding editors and future readers for the moment). This means I really only have one person to get along with on a daily basis and I still find it damn challenging! Which makes me laugh, and I’m very grateful to be able to laugh, even--no especially--at my own foibles

Here are some of my favorite things about living and working alone. I go to bed when I’m tired and get up when I’m rested. Sleep is one of my favorite activities. I eat when I’m hungry and pretty much what I feel like having (this takes some organization and effort, which may result in second, third, or fourth choices being consumed). The refrigerator always has the stuff I put in it still there. The kitchen stays clean, the whole house stays clean! Except for pet hair and messes I make, but cleaning those up isn’t a big deal. I work for hours on end without any interruptions--other than those I’ve signed up for, or choose to allow.

I play music, watch a movie, or read as it suits me. Are you picturing how shallow and selfish this life is? Yep, you’re right. It’s true. And this would be a bad thing because?

Seriously, there are some pretty steep downsides to living alone. But for today, I choose to focus on what I have rather than what I’m missing and that makes a huge difference.

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen Erickson said...

Surrounded by little children who make messes and always want something, your alone time sounds like pure bliss! :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

I love that you've taken some time to think about the plus sides of living alone, finding little shades of positive in a situation many women wouldn't recover from.

I'm pretty comfortable with myself and my own thoughts. I don't need TV or music or radio to occupy my mind, and silence is a luxury I cherish the few times I get it.

I could relate to everything you said--especially the sleep part! I fall asleep early and my husband hates it. Every night it's agony for me to try to stay awake to 10:00. I'd love to just konk out when I felt like it!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Ah Karen, I remember those times they do payoff eventually but all mother's deserve medals in my opinion. :)

After a few years of running on fumes I'm pampering myself outrageously. Eventually, I'm sure I'll get caught up on sleep and be ready to do something more demanding--nah I've just thought about it some more. I like being spoiled. LOL This is my first experience living alone and it does have some nice benefits.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Avery Beck said...

What Karen said.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Avery, what I said to Karen LOL. Seriously, there's a whole lot to be said for cherishing what you have--no one has it all. Hug and kiss those boys while you can.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Marly Mathews said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Evanne! Have a blessed Holiday!
Hugs,
~Marly

7:41 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Marly!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter