Sunday, April 06, 2008

Writing Business

Last week Dangerous Surrender was reviewed over on the Whipped Cream blog, http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/receiving and got four cherries! Entire review posted below. This is my first published book and the baby analogies, are uncannily accurate. I’m thrilled with each little milestone.

At the same time I want more children, er, books--lots more books. Greedy, ambitious writer that I am. Producing them is something else--a painful stage only made bearable by the potential end result.

Also last week I got a glimpse of the releases for 2008 from New Concepts. Dangerous Surrender is on the list, coming out in print next month! The print release is a good sign that the book is selling well. The bad new, from my point of view, no second dangerous book this year. New Concepts puts out lots of titles, but is still a small company in terms of staff.

My tasteful editor is up to her expressive eyebrows in submissions, proofing, releases, marketing, and a million other details of the business of publishing. She might even, gasp, have a life of her own.

Barring a miracle, there will be no new Evanne books from New Concepts in 2008. Considering that the other publishers I’ve submitted to are equally busy, new Evanne stories released from any house are highly unlikely this year.

With this bleak reality firmly in mind, I mentally move on to 2009. Eyeing the themed collections and special projects planned by my publisher. There were two that jumped off the screen at me. High Stakes and Temptation, both are carnal collections of novellas. One involving peril, the other younger man-older woman pairings.

As a current house author, pausing to buff nails on her disreputable robe, I’m allowed to submit a detailed synopsis and a partial. Beats the heck out of polishing up a full and waiting months and months for a response. In my world, there’s nothing finer than new stories. So onto novella research and plotting.

7 Comments:

Blogger Annie West said...

Evanne,

Belated congratulations on your first book. What a tremendous feeling.

And even if your editor is too busy to take anything more for 2008 think of the opportunities to get news stories ready for 2009.

All the best,
Annie

3:39 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Annie,

Thanks for stopping by and for seeing the glass half full. Alternately, I wish this writing business went faster and am grateful for the slower pace--all depends on how the words flow.

But no matter what else is happening, seeing a new Annie West title on the shelves always makes my day brighter.

Evanne

9:01 AM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Wow congrats on the great review and the print publication next year. Make sure to let me know when it comes out! I downloaded it and then lost the file somewhere between my work and home PC. Grrr... So I'm definitely in the market for a print copy.

This is wonderful! And yes, as a published author, you have to start looking much farther into the future. I'm in constant turmoil because at my day job, I'm reporting 2007 year-end numbers still, at my writing job, I'm plotting my 2009 books. Between the two, I don't know what year it is!! LOL!

You're doing great though. Very exciting!

Lori

1:57 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks Lori, I recently finished reading putting it to the test and I loved your use of setting in this book to enchance mood and even reveal character--you've been doing that all along, now that I think about it--I'm just now noticing. LOL

I'll be sure and mention when Dangerous Surrender is out in print.;)

5:35 PM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Thanks Evanne! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I'm very serious about wanting your book when it comes in print. Make sure you let me know. We'll want to plug it again over at Pens!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Avery Beck said...

Sorry about the wait (it never ends) but YAY on seeing your book in print soon! Definitely something to look forward to.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks Lori, I plan to buy a copy just so I can pet the cover. Maybe better get two. LOL

Avery, much as I like ebooks, the green thing and all that jazz there's still something about a real book isn't there?

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter