Saturday, September 06, 2008

Six-pack Saturday

You’ve seen those Thursday Thirteen blog lists right? I like them too! But, I’m a rebel. Instead of becoming another one of Thursday Thirteen crowd, I’m starting a Saturday six-pack.

To inaugurate this blog feature: six books I want to read again.

Shogun by James Clavell

Set in medieval Japan the story unfolds with plenty of political intrigue, brilliant characters, and a tragic love story. I can’t comment on the craft because I invariably get caught up in the story to the extent that the details of writing are irrelevant.

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

This prequel to LOTR is still my favorite. Bilbo Baggins was the first hobbit I was introduced to and his charms have never palled. Ostensibly, a children’s story, I discovered it as an adult and found it riveting.

Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Another beloved piece of children’s literature, the Wind in the Willows has an unforgettable animal cast. Still in print, one hundred years past its debut, the story is a beloved classic, which entirely merits its place in the hearts of readers.

Congo by Michael Crichton

A fast paced adventure with IMHO the best cast Mr. Crichton ever put together. He does occasionally lapse into lecture mode, but the gorilla treatment alone makes it worth rereading.

Mackenzie’s Mountain by Linda Howard

Wolf Mackenzie is to-die-for, the first category romance hero I fell in love with he’s paired perfectly with Mary Elizabeth Potter, a spinsterish school teacher with true grit. Ms. Howard has written lots of good stories this one remains my favorite.

Devil’s Bride by Stephanie Laurens

The inaugural Cynster novel is still the best. The story embodies what I like about regency romances. Dashing, aristocratic, and irresistible alpha hero matched with elegant, sophisticated woman of strong character, a credible suspense sub-plot, the glittering ballrooms of the ton, and a sensual love story.

So how about you, gotta a six-pack you want to share?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter