Saturday, January 20, 2007

Writing Life

I'm going to get back to writing samples, craft and the reading report soon. Promise! I'm obsessing at the moment. Polishing will do that do a writer. ;)

If the process of submitting and getting a response were faster then I'd have less angst. Or at least that's what I like to believe in my own little virtual world. Maybe it's crazy to target two lines but that's what I'm doing.

I've asked myself what is the worst thing that could happen? One of the two lovely editors slaps me and says don't clutter my inbox with this trash? BTW that's exactly how I read a form rejection (sniff, sniff).

In reality even the form rejections are actually worded quite tactfully. They run along the lines of while this (insert title) was not right for us, we thank you for thinking of us and wish you luck in finding a home for your work elsewhere . . .

Are readers confused or upset by an author who writes for more than one line? Or for that matter more than one publisher? They don't seem to be. . . In fact there seems to be lots of the happy cross over that enhances everyone's bottom line.

Does the fact that Ms. Roberts has moved on and no longer writes for Harlequin keep them from reissuing her category titles? Certainly not. It seems to be a situation that benefits all concerned - admittedly this is an outsider ( a way outsider LOL) opinion.

The odds against getting published at all are overwhelming. Getting accepted by two different editors at the same time is highly unlikely. Is there a downside to trying? The only one that comes to my mind is the one Melissa pointed out - focusing on the line where I fit best makes the most sense. But since I'm not as smart as she is about figuring out which line that is - I'm blundering along with my usual combination of doubt devils and mule-brain.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Evanne. I think as long as you feel you have a strong hold on both lines and have been reading them for a long time then there's no harm in it -- if it keeps you writing, you have to do what inspires you. There are authors here and there that do start out with contracts to different lines, though it's certainly the exception, it happens.

I think the only potential problem is that, depending on your experience writing and your grasp on the lines, dividing your focus could muddy your technique in either one. I found that happens sometimes when I'm trying to write two different kinds of books (when I was writing for Super at the same time I was writing Blaze) it was very difficult to keep both "tones" in my mind, like listening to classical music and rock at the same time and trying to sing along with both. Make sense?

Anyway... you have to do what makes sense to you and what makes you happy. In the end, that's all that matters.

Sam

6:21 AM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Evanne, I think if you enjoy writing for both lines, you should write for both lines. What matters is that you write what inspires you, and that you are enjoying the process along the way. The rest will take care of itself.

Ironically, I sold when I stopped over-analyzing myself and just had a good time. And as far as form rejections, that's all I had in my file before I got The Call. I'm not one of those authors who got those nice, personalized, "send me more" rejection letters. It was just the canned response the computer spit out. But as you can see, that didn't stop my next book from being exactly what they were looking for.

So don't let that kind of thing mess with your head!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Sam, I like your music analogy. Like the rest of Seattle I can't carry tune no matter what music is playing. Unlike the rest of Seattle I have the good sense to know I can't sing and avoid AI tryouts. Still can't believe ten thousand people lined up and not one of them could sing.:(

BTW I'm not trying to sing opera and rock at the same time. I plan to alternate . . .

Lori, Thanks for the support! I figure they are both long shots. But just for the record, Blackmailed By the Billionaire started life as Private Lessons and it was a Blaze - but the conflict wasn't where it needed to be, and then I thought about revenge. The story already had the alpha hero it just kind of morphed into a Presents story. ;)

Next comes the tricky part. When I try revising the Blaze manuscript to incorporate the lovely editors suggestions. . .

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter