Monday, January 22, 2007

Writing Life

Skimming the surface over at eharlequin I noticed that I'd missed a sale party for Robyn Grady. (Waves to Robyn - with many heartfelt though :( belated congratulations. ) Why is this blog worthy? Robyn has contracted with two lines. And everyone at Harlequin Mills and Boon is cool with her writing for Silhouette Desire and Modern Extra. BTW Robyn has submissions in with Presents and Blaze, so this could get even more exciting. How lovely for Robyn.

See, it can be done!

I know it is not the kind of thing anyone advises, or that is in the least bit sensible. I also understand how unlikely sales are, period, let alone dual sales. ;) But there is zero chance of selling to more than one line without submitting.

There are lots and lots of people with the dream of being a writer who never actually write a book. There are more who never submit what they've written. There are those who try and get rejected and never try again. I am convinced that persistence is more critical to success than any other single trait.

As of last night the Presents is polished up and awaits the lovely CP's feedback. I may goof off for a day or two before diving into Blaze revisions.

BTW, I did not get a revision letter, i.e. one that says fix this and this and this and send it back. I got the liked-your-premise, but it needs this and definitely that and a whole lot more of this before it would work for the line. Nevertheless, I still love that story and I need to at least try to improve it. If it's a total rewrite then it's a total rewrite. :(

7 Comments:

Blogger Avery Beck said...

Hey Evanne! When did you hear from Blaze, was this recently? Congrats on the personal feedback. Always a good thing. :-)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Melissa,

Got a letter during the power outage - a little before Christmas. This was my first submission to Blaze - the one that started in the summer of 2005 as an entry in the Blazing Summer contest. LOL You know how that goes... Anyway I'm refusing to give up on a story I love. More revisions ahead. :)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Evanne, any time you get a personalized letter from an editor that's a great sign. That means they thought enough about your talent to feel you were worth spending time on.

I've read bits and pieces of the chapters you've posted and agree. You have a brilliant way with description and those little details that make a story come alive. I think it's just a matter of getting the right story in front of the right eyes.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Lori, Thanks for the encouraging comments - it means more than you know.

At the moment I'm feeling really optimistic since my wonderful CP was so kind about my latest story.

There have been lots of discouraging days and comments from other writers have been what kept me plugging away.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evanne,
I hope you don't have any more discouraging days. No matter what anyone says, you can write, write well, and you'll sell soon.
Sheila

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evanne,
You better not have any more discouraging days. Maybe days to be patient, but not discouraged.
You write well and you will be published and many readers will have you on their must buy list. It's only a matter of time.
Sheila

5:22 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Hey Sheila,

Thanks for the double dose of confidence. It's always welcome.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter