Monday, March 19, 2007

Writing Life

Revising has become a way of life. I've always liked the excitement of a new story best, the character bios, the plotting, the what-ifs. Yet, even from inside the edit process, I can see this is making the story stronger.

Rewriting may be more vital than writing for me. As I work through the revisions, I learn and there are several mistakes I won't repeat.

Lesson number one: all actions and reactions need to be cleanly motivated.

Characters can be inconsistent, but if they are then that has to be explained too. Fictional people have to make more sense than real life people. I'd love to argue about that one, but the fact is my favorite fictional characters are brilliantly drawn and vitally motivated.

I accepted that fiction plotting had to be much more believable than real life a while ago. The whole then-there-was-miracle plot resolution still appeals, but I understand why it's not a good idea.

Lesson number two: rewording the same information does not make it new.

Lesson number three: using the same words over and over is irritating to the reader.

Lesson number four: reading the story aloud helps catch my most egregious errors.

Lesson number five: setting is an asset.

Lesson number six: emotion, emotion, emotion

Bonus free lesson - color coding works. I learned about this in Margie Lawson's Deep Editing Class check out her website to learn more about her classes. www.margielawson.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

I think you've nailed it. Very insightful lessons that I think every writer could benefit from repeating!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Lori, You are too kind. A lo yonder lies a miracle ending fluttered into my addled mind just today. . . LOL

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the lessons finally sink in. Can't wait for the final read on this. You've come leaps and bounds in a very little time.

T.J.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks TJ,

The lessons still need repetition - but writing is a lifetime study plan. Luckily, I like education. ;)

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter