Saturday, March 10, 2007

Reading Reports

At the same time I added book reviews to this blog I made a decision not to review books I didn't enjoy.

Why?

Reading is subjective. My disappointing read may well be someone else's keeper. Lots of factors impact how much I enjoy a particular title. Mood, being a biggie and this is certainly beyond the author's control. Anticipation is another factor that can work against an author. With me, the highly touted book often suffers from impossible expectations. The last consideration is author empathy. I write. I know how hard it is,and how many people have put real effort into a book before it is released to eager readers.

All of these factors went into my conscious decision not to write a purely negative review. If I can't find any merit in a title there will be no reading report. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter