Thursday, March 01, 2007

Writing craft

I'm back to adding emotion. Even when I think emotion is dripping off every page and the characters leap to dramatic life - the advice I get is needs more depth of character and more emotion.

The POV character is relating the story and apparently what needs to happen is for that character to live the story. I'm thinking about all the different craft elements that make a story come alive and how to erase that distance between telling and showing, all the way to engaging.

Even at this stage, when I've seriously compromised my ability to get lost in a story by critiquing everything I read, there are authors who sweep me effortlessly into the story world and hold me enthralled until the book is over.

How do they do that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Avery Beck said...

When you find that answer, pass it on! :-)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

I have an inkling, but I don't like the answer, :( It is everything. Characterization, olotting, setting, pacing, every craft element is handled seamlessly, The effect is riveting story.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter