Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Writing Craft

This may not be, strictly speaking, about writing craft. Since it's my blog, I'm not strict. Which is actually today's topic - lack of strictness.

For the past few weeks, I've spent as much time on emails, loops, chats, and groups as I've actually written. The other day I was chatting, in real life, with an incredibly generous and brilliant woman, who mentioned an agent would like to see something fresh from me in a couple of months. Panic began seeping into my bones at the thought. I don't write all that fast and I certainly don't polish all that quickly. Writing a new eighty thousand plus word story will take me eighty days. And that's after it's clear in my head - characters, plotting, synopsis, the whole shebang. A process that takes at least a week. Then the polishing takes another two weeks and goes so much better if I can set the raw manuscript aside for at least two weeks first.

In order to have something fresh ready to go by the end of summer, I should have started a couple of weeks ago. Or I could pare down the time spent on cyber socializing and increase the daily word count to fifteen hundred. Writing is what I want to do. Therefore writing needs to move back to number one on the priority list.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

I'll tell you, your friends will understand if you aren't surfing or hanging around as often. I don't know any writer who hasn't faced a deadline or felt the need to spend more time writing and less time chatting. It's the reason I got rid of my blog, as painful as it was. It's very hard sticking to the writing, but we don't want to miss those opportunities when they come by.

And an agent who wants to see something from you--that's fantastic!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Avery Beck said...

Woo hoo! Go Evanne!

It's tough to keep writing all the time, but I find that the more I stay away from blogs and such, the less I miss them. I usually check a bunch of sites every morning or night to see if anything new is up, but if I'm on a tight writing deadline I don't bother with half of them.

It's kind of like watching tv...if you never watch a show, you can't get hooked (and therefore spend all your writing hours in front of the tube, lol). That's one of the reasons I completely stay away from tv. I can't imagine trying to fit shows into my evenings when I'm already so busy with writing stuff and domestic duties!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Lori, Damn girl I miss your blog! But I don't need extra temptation! LOL - I've been good today. A quick check of email etc. first thing fifteen fresh words and now I'm actually ahead of schedule.

But controlling the urge to browse and surf is tougher than I expected. Eye on the prize and all that jazz.

Avery, You've been kickin' that word meter. I'm ten percent into a novella I want to submit June lst so it comes first. Then a new romantic suspense single title. Whew - scary just to think about. But this is what I want.

I'm with you on the TV thing I don't watch it - occassionally I feel like I'm missing something. But its not possible to do everything and frankly I prefer to read if I have free time. Free time what a concept. LOL

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter