Sunday, November 25, 2007

Publication Quest Updated

Earlier this year I posted my goals, here is what I wrote--

Current year's goals

1) Study characterization to add depth to the story's cast
2) Three submissions
3) In roads in the TBR shelves

Progress report

Done reading the stack of books related to characterization - Creating Unforgettable Characters deserves a second read.

Two submission
Status: still waiting to hear from the publishers

Timeline:

Number One: three months three weeks
Number Two: two weeks

I warned you this is a sloooow and boring journey.

Now here's what has happened so far--one of those optimistic submissions turned into a real book!

Here's what else happened--I wrote more stories and submitted them too. I'm currently waiting to hear back on three submission. Right now, I'm grateful that editors are very busy and take time to get back to me.

What made this remarkable change? My first professional edit. I'm not a speedy writer--and I'm going to get slower, because this past year I've learned lots more about what it takes to tell a really good story.

The craft books were a good idea--I've learned lots from them. Contests were a good idea--I learned lots from them. Fellow writers, critique partners, discussion boards, and blogs have all been great. But I have to admit nothing compared with real life experience of having a kindly editor comment on my story page by page, and line by line. I understand much better why it's so hard to get that first sale and how reluctant any sane editor must be to take on another newbie.

All I can do is work my tail off to justify the tasteful editor's optimism. I think that sums up the current goal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen Erickson said...

Oooh Evanne I totally agree. Edits from an actual editor make all the difference in the world in your writing. I've grown so much and I'm still learning so much more! It never really ends. Which is a good thing. ;)

8:36 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks for sharing from further along the writing journey--I still think multiple editors would be a good thing.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter