Monday, September 04, 2006

Writing Life

Stephen said, “Can I be blunt on this subject? If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that. Reading is the creative center of a writer’s life.” in his book On Writing.

That was the best news I had last year. Up until reading that I’d been foregoing reading in favor of writing. For A life long addicted reader it was the highest price. The ego blows of rejection barely count compared with the sacrifice of good books.

I hadn’t given up all reading I’m not that crazy. I had confined my reading to craft books and the line I was targeting. It wasn’t a total waste of time. I learned a lot about the craft of writing. I met and fell in love with a couple of new authors. Always a happy event for a reader.

After reading Stephen King’s frank pronouncement and a short period of shocked rumination to allow the truth to settle into my head, Happy Days Are Here Again burst into surround sound in my mind.

A career choice that requires reading widely, frequently and deeply. No wonder everyone wants to be a writer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter