Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Reading Report - A Little Secret Between Friends

Last week I eyed the TBR shelves and decided it was time to get organized. A plan for new disciplined reading, regardless of mood was drafted. We'll see how long this lasts.;)

First up was a volume from the slightly dusty stack of Superromances. A Little Secret Between Friends is my first C.J. Carmichael story. One of the things I really like about this particular line is the wide variety of voices and story lines it encompasses. Ms. Carmichael penned a classic secret baby story with warmth and charm. The moral dilemma of a heroine who strives to make the right choices and winds up in the wrong was believable and poignant.

In general, my highly subjective opinion of a story's merit rests on the character connection which happens, or fails to happen, for me as a reader. The fact that the plot is not unique does not hamper my enjoyment of an engaging story.

One of my most respected friends swears she reads for plot and that characterization is substantially less important to her reading pleasure. How about the rest of my faithful readers - what attracts you to story? What makes a tale a favorite?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think both matter to me. I hate plotless stories, but I want characters I can sink my teeth into or fantasize about.

Lots of characterization has been lost to romance. That is a sad case of rushing the story.

As always, highest regards,

T.J. Killian

4:48 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Hi T.J.,

Thanks for stopping by. Both a fripping plot and memorable characters are the ideal, But for me engaging characters come first. I'll read a story with a weak plot (and have) if the characters are sympathetic, intriguing or mysterious enough to make me want to know more.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter