Monday, May 07, 2007

Writing Life

Writing itself is either wonderful, awful, or something in between. All depending on how it is going at the moment. Despite the mixed results I do it over and over again. Not unlike reading. It is sadly true that not every story I pick up thrills me. Yet, I read again. This is me. I am a creature of habit who regards most change with reluctance.

The idea of writing for publication had crossed my mind before. But until four years ago it was a careless whim sort of thought. Now it occupies as many hours as I can manage. As I grow closer to realising the initial goal of selling a story, new aspects of the publishing business rear their scary looking heads.

Interviews, promotion, books signing, chatting, networking, and who knows what all else. Heck, my idea of marketing is writing a good cover letter. I know there are writers, who are weirdly social and outgoing. Crazy people, who are energized by speaking to strangers. Then there are the quiet, reticent, sane types.

Several years ago I stopped at a local mall to pick up shampoo. This important quest took me past a bookstore, a happy bonus. In front of the national chain's shop was a favorite author seated at a card table with copies of his latest hardcover release piled up around him. He was trying very hard not to look bored and miserable. To my shame, I did not stop.

How do you all feel about promotion? Is it something you look forward to or dread? As readers would you enjoy meeting a favorite author or would you rather keep the veil of fiction firmly in place between you?

8 Comments:

Blogger Avery Beck said...

Hey Evanne,

One of the things I love about category romance is that the series pretty much promotes itself. I imagine if I ever sell a Blaze, some people will read it just because it's a Blaze even though they've never heard of me. And that's more than fine with me.

I'm not interested in being a bestselling, world-famous superauthor. I just want to publish two or three books a year and have a steady career. I'll love meeting readers when the opportunity comes up, and I'll make bookmarks and have a website and stuff like that, but I personally think signings are pretty pointless unless you're a famous writer. Like you said, most of us just walk by if we don't know who the author is. And I don't want to sit there watching everyone ignore me!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Avery, I'm sure you'd attract a crowd in no time - but I'm not sure how much it affects your sales or name recognition.

I totally agree that the automatic line sales are a huge advantage that only accrues to category writers.

Wistful sigh, I'm still waiting for one of those lovely editors to decide I'm worth spending time and effort on and that it may never happen.

How is your dream editor requested proposal going? And Hot Ghost Man he sounds like sooo much fun.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Avery Beck said...

LOL Hot Ghost Man is making me work now. I'm still brainstorming the new plot and hope to work on the first chapter this weekend (if Ghost Man cooperates this week ;-).

11:22 AM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

I agree with Avery on category not requiring a lot of publicity. I think the time is better spent working to write a good book. But I could be wrong.

I'm one of those people who would love more than anything to just stay in the confines of my own little world, write my three Blaze's a year and keep to a close little circle of friends for support. Unfortunately, I keep feeling there are discussions I should be a part of, so I get sucked into loops and RWA more than I'd like. I try to play the moderation game, going out a little so people can get to know me, but not letting it consume more time than I have.

But when it comes to loops, lists, RWA, chapter meetings and all that, I think some writers become big names in the writing community, but readers don't know them from Adam. That's fine and understandable if writing romance is as much social to a person as it is a career. But if the idea is to generate lots of book sales from it, it's probably a colossal waste of time.

(Speaking of which, my CP and I started a new blog together. It's at www.sizzlingpens.blogspot.com. If you're inclined to waste some time, come stop by! LOL!)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Avery,

Hugs to the Hub and LOL about Hot Ghost Man making you work. He sounded real cooperative to me.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Lori,

Cool about the new blog I'll stop by soonest. I sure as hell hope in person publicity is not critical - cause it's not happening in my life. Heck I've got all I can do to carve writing time - sheesh.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Erica Ridley said...

H Evanne! I try to go book signings when I know about them and speak to the authors. I had a similar situation once with Tim Dorsey where I meant to stop and I ran into a friend at another section of the bookstore who waylaid me long enough that Tim was gone when I got up to the table. I felt bad, because the whole time I'd been talking to my friend, absolutely nobody was up at Tim's table, and he writes such great books. One nice thing about having a local chapter is that usually writers stick together in the sense that they'd visit your booksignings. BUT, as I'm still an unpub, I've got plenty of time before I cross that bridge! *g

3:16 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Hey Erica,

I figured you'd be announcing your debut someday real soon. I don't think you can count on your unpublished status protecting you for very long. ;)

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter