Thursday, July 05, 2007

Writing craft

In between writing, reading, and real life, I continue to squeeze studying craft. Because I want to tell an even better story. Because there is so much to learn. Because so many writers share their hard-won wisdom.

Dangerous Men and Adventurous Women is a compilation of essays put together by Jayne Ann Krentz. I checked it out from the library twice before I broke down and bought a copy of my own. But it is a book I need to read and re-read. It is dense with information and rich with with the secrets of the romance sisterhood.

Perhaps it is because I discovered the romance genre late, or maybe it's that I'm simply not very romantic, but the fact is the romance part doesn't come easy to me. Worse, some times it is very hard for me to understand the appeal of popular stories. This is not a good thing when I want a career writing romance.

Most of the women who write romance, edit romance, and publish romance have not struggled with their relationship with the genre. Or if they have they've wisely kept this ambivalence to themselves. For those who want or need to learn more about the timeless appeal of romance novels. This volume offers many answers.

4 Comments:

Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

no access

2:12 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

still no access - no google response either

11:49 AM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Evanne, I read my first romance novel a solid 6 months before I attempted to write my own, and that wasn't until the ripe old age of 42! I'd seriously never read one before!

And like you, I'm not a terribly romantic person, either. The only thing that comes natural for me is a flair for the written word. Everything else has to be learned.

Of course, my husband would say he's pleased to be in training. LOL!

The book sounds interesting, though. Definitely one I'd consider checking out!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Lori, LOL at your husband being in training! Mine is always up for research too. LOL

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter