Thursday, January 31, 2008

Writing life

This writing business has a real plus that I don't see mentioned a lot. Writers support each other with incredible generosity. I don't know any serious writers who aren't enthusiastic readers.

One of the thing which worries me about writing romance is how unthrilled I am with some of the best sellers in the genre. While I can admire great craft and talent their story choices leave me indifferent. My romance favorites are still striving for mainstream recognition. Another worry is the standard advice, which runs 'write what you love to read'. That doesn't work for me for a couple of reasons.

Number one, I have favorites in virtually every genre. And no, I do not think I should write everything.

Number two, I admire most those with talents I don't possess.

I deliberately do not read romantic suspense or erotica when I'm writing. My TBR shelves are heavily weighted with historical romances, light contemporary romance, non-romance titles, classics, and all time favorites slated for rereading. There are some erotic, and a few romantic suspense, titles but even combined they are the smallest selection.

I write erotic, I write mystery, I write suspense, and I write dark. I've been fortunate enough to connect with a publisher willing to take a chance on one of my stories and even luckier to find readers devouring the first Dangerous book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter