Saturday, January 26, 2008

Writing life

It's official, I'm completely shallow and obsessed with my sales. I check Fictionwise before I check my bank balance. Sad. But I'm number twenty one on the erotica best sellers list! Yes, yes I understand this is small potatoes and that most of the mass market titles don't do especially well as e-books. But still. It means people are buying and presumably reading Dangerous Surrender and that's a huge thrill.

Having honest-to-god readers enjoy my stories is the dream. More than getting paid for writing, more than any award, more than the sales numbers. Those other things are just sign posts that people are reading the book.

Once in awhile someone asks me about how to get published (it's a common dream folks). I'm honored but I feel inadequate to answer their questions. There are agent and industry blogs that have lots of worthwhile advice. However, I suspect no two writers tread the same path to publication. I spent time thinking about what result I wanted from my writing and what I was willing to invest (in terms of time and money) to achieve that result.

The goal I finally articulated is both wildly ambitious and modest. I want to write stories that touch people. I want to entertain and empower and enlighten along the way because I think that is how to achieve that lofty end result.

In a week I'm going cold turkey--giving up the Internet for eleven days. Maybe I'll get a grip on reality and be well-behaved after the break with the cyber world. More likely I'll transfer my obsessive behavior to something else.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Congrats on making that seller's list! I understand the obsession with sales. It's hard not to go there. But you should be proud of your accomplishment!

I have your book in my TBR pile and I seriously need to start digging in. Life keeps interfering with the things I want to do, but I'm finally starting to return to some level of normalcy after our move. I really can't wait to read it.

Lori

8:25 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks Lori, I so enjoy your stories. Naturally, I hope you like mine--though I have to warn you we are practically polar opposites in writing styles.

I've gotten the first review of Dangerous Surrender and it wasn't a pan or rave--just liked this didn't like that kind of thing.

Can't please everyone so I'm working on satisfying myself unfortunately, I'm not even close.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Lori Borrill said...

Ahhh, your first taste of life in front of the critics. I have selective hearing when it comes to them. Learned how to do it from my kid. LOL! Relish what they did like and shrug off what they didn't. Remember, you sold a book and they didn't. That's truly the bottom line.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Evanne Lorraine said...

Thanks for the comforting words. You make me wish I lived in California. LOL

The readers like it! At least so far. There are only six ratings at Fictionwise but they're all positive!

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Counter